Fire & Emergency Response Management Certificate
EARN YOUR FERM CERTIFICATE IN ONE YEAR!
Grow professionally with our online certificate.
The online Fire and Emergency Response Management (FERM) certificate is for professionals who want to develop or improve management and leadership skills. The certificate is designed to benefit chiefs, assistant chiefs, captains, lieutenants, firefighters, paramedics, fire instructors and fire inspectors.
Core Courses (3 courses) The core FERM Certificate courses focus on the leadership and management skills that fire and emergency response professionals most need. Students are required to complete the following courses:
- Introduction to Public Administration
- Introduction to Liberal Studies
- Fire and Emergency Services Leadership
Elective Courses (3 courses) Students select the final three courses from a list of available options. Select a topic that is most interesting to you, or choose to focus on an area that you want to improve. Students will choose three courses from the following list.
- Conflict Resolution for the Emergency Services
- Mentoring for Emergency Services Personnel
- Occupational Safety & Health in Emergency Services
- Fire Prevention Organization & Management
- Community Risk Reduction for the Fire & Emergency Services
- Management of Emergency Medical Services
- Administrative Law & Procedure
- Public Personnel Administration
- Administrative Leadership & Behavior
- Politics of Emergency Management
- Emergency Planning & Administration
- Government & Economy
There are some entrance requirements for certificate students. Prior to enrolling in the FERM certificate program, student must have completed the following requirements:
- Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 (can be completed at a technical or community college)
- At least two years of relevant work experience
If requirements are met, students can apply to the program by submitting the following application materials:
- Unofficial Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 transcripts
- Signed letter from your chief confirming your work experience
- Completed Application Form
You can mail your materials to us at:
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Division of Lifelong Learning and Community Engagement
800 Algoma Boulevard
Oshkosh, WI 54901
Applying as a Special Student
Prior to submitting the online application, we encourage you to connect with an advisor for the FERM certificate program to make sure you understand the admissions requirements. Call (920) 424-0688 or email firstname.lastname@example.org If you want to enroll in a certificate program at UW Oshkosh, you must apply as a Special Student. Special Student status means that you are not seeking a degree.
- You will apply to UW Oshkosh using the online UW System application or downloadable PDF application. Select either “visitor/guest student at the undergraduate level” or “undergraduate courses for personal/professional enrichment” when applying.
- You do not pay the UW System $50 application fee.
- There is no $100 enrollment deposit needed for special students. You will be able to enroll without additional paperwork on the enrollment date assigned for special students. (Typically 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester you’re applying for.)
If you’re interested in this program or would like to know more, please contact UW Oshkosh at (920) 424-0688 or toll free at (800) 633-1442. You can also request information by completing this online form.