Professional Development Programs • Firefighters
The Chief Officer program has be awarded ProBoard certification for Fire Officer III in the state of Wisconsin. The Regional Emergency and All-Climate Training Center (REACT) is the certifying agency for this program.
Chief Officer Programs
Join us for the next course:
Course 6: Risk Management and Strategic Planning
Feb. 17 – 19, 2017, Volk Field National Air Guard Base
Join our mailing list to have program announcements and registration information delivered to your inbox.
The Chief Officer Program (COP) is a collaborative initiative between UW Oshkosh and the Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA) designed to provide officers with a broad perspective on various facets of fire and emergency services administration. Through six educational courses, the COP framework helps senior and company officers to strengthen their communication and leadership skills and gain a better understanding of public administration in fire and emergency services.
Chief Officer Program Curriculum
Participants will learn a variety of leadership and management skills through the six-course program. Each course consists of one weekend class of work, along with some reading and preparation before the weekend and some online work after.
- Course 1: Speech Communication
- Course 2: Improving your writing
- Course 3: Leadership in the public sphere
- Course 4: Personnel administration
- Course 5: Fiscal Management
- Course 6: Risk management and strategic planning
Admission criteria will consist of:
- Application to the program through UW Oshkosh
- Documentation of at least three years in a supervisory position as an officer (chief, captain, lieutenant, etc.) or 10 years experience in a fire or EMS department
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s fire chief, police and fire commission, city board or elected official
For more information on admission requirements, contact UW Oshkosh at (920) 424-0234 or toll-free at (800) 633-1442.
Courses are offered throughout the year. Join our mailing list to have program announcements delivered straight to your inbox! Our courses are offered throughout the year. Students can register for each course as the dates of the course approach. Registration will be released for each course individually. We announce registration links on this website and via email The cost of each course is $599, and it includes materials and instruction, as well as food and lodging at Volk Field National Air Guard Base.
The Chief Officer Program is a collaborative effort among:
- UW Oshkosh
- The Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA)
- Volk Field Air Force National Guard base
Wisconsin Emergency Services Academy (WESA)
Visit the WESA website to learn more about additional education opportunities for firefighters. WESA is a collaboration that is supported by a variety of educational and training organizations in Wisconsin including:
- Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA)
- Wisconsin State Firefighters Association (WSFA)
- Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) System
- Wisconsin Society of Fire Safety Instructors (WSFSI)
- Wisconsin Fire Inspectors Association (WFIA)
- Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM)—State office of WI, oversight of all local, state and federal regulations
- Regional Emergency All-Climate Training Center (REACT)
- Specialized Training in various Homeland Security offerings
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO)