Professional Development Programs • Firefighters
Chief Officer Program
Join our mailing list to have program announcements and registration information delivered to your inbox.
The Chief Officer Program (COP) is a collaborative initiative between UW Oshkosh and the Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA), providing officers with broad perspectives on various facets of fire and emergency services administration.
Through six online educational modules, the COP framework helps senior officers strengthen their communication and leadership skills and gain a better understanding of public administration in fire and emergency services.
Complete all six modules and receive F03 ProBoard Certification.
Chief Officer Program Curriculum
Participants will learn a variety of leadership and management skills through the online six-module program. Modules consist of reading, preparation and online work.
- Module 1: Speech communication
- Module 2: Professional writing
- Module 3: Leadership in the public sphere
- Module 4: Public personnel administration
- Module 5: Capital budget planning and resource management
- Module 6: Risk management and strategic planning
- Documentation of at least three years in an officer position or 10 years experience in a fire or EMS department.
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s fire chief, police and fire commission, city board or elected official.
For more information on the program or to apply, contact UW Oshkosh at (920) 424-0234 or (800) INFO-UWO.
Courses are offered throughout the year. Join our mailing list to have program announcements delivered straight to your inbox! Our courses are offered throughout the year. Students can register for each course as the dates of the course approach. Registration will be released for each course individually. We announce registration links on this website and via email. The cost of each course is $499.
The Chief Officer Program is a collaborative effort among:
Wisconsin Emergency Services Academy (WESA)
Visit the WESA website to learn more about additional education opportunities for firefighters. WESA is a collaboration that is supported by a variety of educational and training organizations in Wisconsin including:
- Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA)
- Wisconsin State Firefighters Association (WSFA)
- Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) System
- Wisconsin Society of Fire Safety Instructors (WSFSI)
- Wisconsin Fire Inspectors Association (WFIA)
- Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM)—State office of WI, oversight of all local, state and federal regulations
- Regional Emergency All-Climate Training Center (REACT)
- Specialized Training in various Homeland Security offerings
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO)